- Heat a large soup pot with olive oil on medium-high heat. Saute the fennel and onions, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and herbs; saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, broth, bay leaf and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and remove the bay leaf. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Using an immersion blender (or high powered blender in batches) blend the soup to a pureed consistency, or desired thickness, adding water to thin if needed.
- Transfer to soup bowls for serving and top with 2 tablespoons of ricotta cheese.
- Top with chopped pecans and chives, optional. Enjoy.
For additional toppings, try scallions or diced purple potatoes for a nice color combination (and taste!). Feel free to substitute different potatoes, for example, white or russet potatoes for the purple.
Nutritionals are per serving.
You may also like our Favorite Potato Soup Recipes.