Fries reign supreme as the number one side dish ordered at foodservice across segments, service styles, meal occasions and cuisines1. From curly to crinkle cut, traditional salted to over-the-top loaded, dishes made with America’s Favorite Vegetable are always on trend and in demand2. Fries remain an away-from-home treat, with 42% of consumers relying on restaurants to make them for them – meaning, when consumers are eating out or ordering take out, they are looking for fries!3 And with more consumers staying home and traveling less, global flavors can help transport patrons to new and exciting places.
Whether using fresh or frozen, you can elevate your menu by offering unique, craveable worldly fries.
Loaded fries have experienced 15% growth in the past year and are expected to grow 54% in the next 44. Get ahead of the game by innovating exciting, loaded fry dishes now that’ll help draw patrons in4. Whatever your situation is, the ideas below work well for both take out, delivery and in-restaurant dining.
- Bring the flavors of the Mediterranean to your menu with our Garlicky Greek Fries, studded with marinated artichokes, feta cheese and Kalamata olives
- Explore the North Eastern US with our Clam Chowder Fries – taking the beloved chowder ingredients and turning them into decadent loaded fries.
- Journey to Thailand with our take on Shrimp Pad Thai Loaded Curly Fries. The unique and fun shape helps the fries stand up to the over-the-top toppings.
- Keep it plant-based with these Forager Fries, using sauteed mushrooms, caramelized onions and blue cheese fondue.
Loaded fry recipes can be served and eaten like a casserole dish or poutine! Since the fries are paired with delicious toppings, no need to worry about the fries not being as crispy upon delivery.
Restaurants across the country are releasing creative, craveable fry dishes. From national chains to regional players, check out some of the newest launches:
- Burgerville USA: Rosemary Shoestring Fries
- Preux & Proper: Pork Neck Gravy Poutine
- Kettner Exhange: Okonomiyaki Fries
- Norm’s Restaurant: Hot Mess Pastrami Cheese Fries
- KFC: Secret Recipe Fries
- Jack In The Box: Steak & Parm Fries
(From Datassential 2020 Annual Potato Report)
From left to right: Norm’s Hot Mess Pastrami Cheese Fries, Jack In The Box’s Steak & Parm Fries, Preux & Proper: Pork Neck Gravy Poutine’s
Did You Know?
Globally inspired fry toppings, such as truffle and aioli have grown double digits in the past four years and are expected to continue to grow for the next 45. But those aren’t the only fry toppings that are poised for major growth. Below is a list of top trending fry ingredients that might help inspire your next great fry dish6.
1 Potatoes USA. “2020 Consumer A&U Quantitative Report” January 2020, slide 72
2 Potatoes USA. “2020 Consumer A&U Quantitative Report” January 2020, slide 45
3 Datassential for Potatoes USA. “2020 Potato Trends”, August 2020, slide 5
4 Datassential for Potatoes USA. “2020 Potato Trends”, August 2020, slide 24
5 Datassential for Potatoes USA. “2020 Potato Trends”, August 2020, slide 30
6 Datassential for Potatoes USA. “2020 Potato Trends”, August 2020, slide 31