Loaded Scalloped Potatoes
Additional ingredients to add to the Extra Creamy Scalloped Potatoes recipe above:
- 6 strips of bacon (about 35 gr), sliced crispy and cut in pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- 6 oz. (170 gr) of shredded mozzarella cheese (or fontina, gruyere, emmental, or a mix of these)
Additional preparation steps to make the loaded scalloped potatoes:
- In a skillet cook the bacon on medium-high heat for about 4 to 5 minutes, turning it half way until just crispy. Cut in pieces and set aside.
- Make the besciamella sauce following the same steps above. When adding the nutmeg and salt, also add the garlic powder and oregano.
- When layering the potatoes with the besciamella sauce, sprinkle each middle layer with shredded cheese and pieces of bacon. Follow the same directions for baking the scalloped potatoes.
For this dish, you can also use Russet potatoes. Both Russet and Yellow potatoes are starchy potatoes. The starch helps keeping the sauce between layers smooth and creamy. I chose Yukon potatoes because they tend to break less easily than Russet.