- Preheat the oven to 400 °F (205 °C).
- Pour the chicken or duck fat into a 9×9 inch glass baking dish. Place the baking dish in the oven and allow for the fat and pan to get hot while the ingredients for the kugel are being prepped.
- In a food processor fitted with a grating attachment or with a box grater, grate the potatoes and onions. Alternately until they are all used. Place the grated potatoes and onions in a large bowl.
- Mix in the potato starch, salt, pepper, and beaten eggs into the potatoes and onions.
- Remove the preheated dish from the oven and place the potato mixture into the hot fat, pressing the potatoes down into an even layer. Discard any remaining liquid in the bowl and place the dish in the oven.
- Cook the kugel for 45 minutes or until it is golden and crispy all around. Remove from the oven and allow the kugel to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing into 9 even portions with a sharp knife. The kugel can be served with a variety of ingredients, the most common is sour cream or crème fraiche.
*If you are making a meal that contains meat, you can cook this with schmaltz (chicken fat) or duck fat and serve with applesauce or lingonberry jam as opposed to sour cream or crème fraiche.
*If you are making a meatless Kosher meal, use vegetable oil instead of the chicken/duck fat and serve with crème fraiche or sour cream.